Monday, August 25, 2008

Oh Crap, Who Am I Going To Root For?

The title of this blog says it all because on September 26, I'm going to be put into that situation when the Fairfax Rebels come to Centreville to take on the Wildcats at 7:30 p.m. in a football match-up.

Not only are Centreville and Fairfax in the same district, sharing the same District opponents, they also share something off the field...me!

Yep, I'm the announcer for Fairfax football (made official last week) and the music/video board/game operations person for Centreville. This will be the fourth year I've been on Centreville's board which is now five years old. It's mine during the fall and I design everything that goes on it. Other schools try to copy what we do, but we always seem to stay ahead of them.

For Fairfax, I'll be announcing three games that don't conflict with Centreville's four-game home schedule. I'll also be responsible for providing musical bits during the games to entertain fans. I just wonder how the Fairfax fans and players are going to receive the "welcome" they get at Centreville on September 26. It'll be one of those, "wow, they do the same stuff our guy does!". The only difference is I won't be announcing that game. Centreville currently has an announcer who several have asked for me to replace. It's a tough call because he also does basketball, something I can't commit to right now (though I'd like to, I just can't at the level they want me to commit).

So this year, my high school options will be as follows...
Fall Sports
Centreville for volleyball and football
Madison for volleyball
Fairfax for football

Winter Sports
Gonzaga hockey
DeMatha hockey & possibly basketball (the biggest of the gigs in the area)
West Springfield hockey
Fairfax for some basketball
Centreville gymnastics

Spring Sports
DeMatha baseball
Centreville baseball & softball (I have someone that wants softball and he's good, so I'll have him do it)

Oh yeah, did I mention I'm also announcing George Washington volleyball and American University field hockey in the fall. There might be some other events such as soccer and volleyball at AU that I'd be covering as well. It's going to be a slow fall season!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home